Sunday, August 11, 2013

Painted Cottage Stairs

The cheapest makeover for ugly, dated, 
carpeted stairs is to just paint them.
After painting.
We're fixing up another rental house
on a tight budget.
Before painting.
Larry ripped out the carpet and pad 
and pried off the strips. The wood was in 
bad shape and needed sanding, caulking, 
and lots of wood putty. Definitely not 
good enough for staining. I wanted the look
of wood stairs and didn't want the expense
of re-carpeting, so why not try to 
just paint them and see how it looks.
I love them!
After
Not perfect, but a big improvement in my
opinion. And the price was right!
Before
After
The risers are painted semi gloss white
and the treads are painted in semi gloss
dark brown. Believe it or not, I found a
 quart of the brown paint in my garage.
Paint I had bought years ago for
another project that never got off the 
ground. So good thing I remembered.
Didn't even need to buy the paint!
Before
I hate to keep making you look at the 
ugly mauve carpet on the stairs.
After
But that's the only way you'll appreciate
this budget transformation.
Yup! Just paint. 
Letting it cure before the second coat.
But I couldn't wait to show you!

Cheers!

15 comments:

  1. Rita, your stairs look wonderful...I love the dark wood tops and the rest white...it is so chic and what an easy fix for you, what a difference, you must be thrilled...I would love you to come over to my blog and see my jungle post, I think you will love it...Phyllis

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just gorgeous! What a difference! Great job on the painting too. The brown paint looks like mahogany wood!
    Be a sweetie,
    Shelia :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a huge difference! So worth the effort.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do love the transformation of PAINT!!! I have been doing some if that myself. Now I am off to research your past posts for the letters you use for those great signs you make. I am about to make some of my own.....
    LOVE your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful transformation...I KNOW you have to be thrilled to have that carpet gone!!! LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's a gorgeous makeover, the stairs are beautiful. Now about the paint on the walls, are going to repaint them? Ha, I'm just being cheeky.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a crisp clean new look - well done.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, huge transformation. The stairs look wonderful. Thanks for linking to Inspire Me. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the look that U achieved with the paint. My question is,were the stairs built for wood or carpet? My stairs are built with plywood only, then covered with carpet. Not a wood stairs covered with carpet.Which were these stairs?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! I am amazed at the difference...so pretty and such a classic look! Thanks for sharing at The Scoop!...hugs...Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  11. The difference is amazing! Good luck with the rest of your re-do.
    Check out my new blog at http://gigipinkglitter.blogspot.com

    Thanks!
    Tammy

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful! We've also been talking about redoing our staircase. We've been blessed with hunter green carpet. :/ This looks wonderful though! A great inspiration. Stop by my Friday's Five Features and link up this post (and others)! http://diy-vintage-chic.blogspot.com/2013/08/fridays-five-features-no-4.html

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks great! (We're always looking for inexpensive ways to update our rental properties, as well.)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for linking up to Frugalicious Friday! Your stair case looks wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I definitely agree with your tip! If you're really thinking about a low-cost stair makeover, giving it with a fresh coat of paint will definitely do it justice. You only need to spend money for painting materials. Likewise, the project's pretty simple. It wouldn't take a whole day for you to finish it. Just make sure that you will go with a color that will match the other details near the stair area.

    ReplyDelete